Soooo, it's been a while! This pesky life kinda got in the way again... ;-) Besides working on this renovation since January and another international conference in May, I lost my Grandmother in June. That put me into a rather strange state, like I was in some kind of limbo for a bit. It really doesn't matter that you know in your mind the time is coming, your heart still breaks when that time does come. After a few weeks, I was able to get off the couch and do more than just go to work. My parents decided to give us their old camping trailer and I have ALWAYS wanted one! Stay tuned for that renovation project next! During everything else going on, Hubby and I have been toiling away weekends and weeknights on the porch renovation. Here is a before and after to get us started:
One of our goals, besides a leak-proof roof of course, was to gain as much ceiling height inside the porch as we could. During demo, we took down the aluminum cladding to open the ceiling and found that the porch roof rafters were just nailed to the ends of the house rafters:
Taking shape before windows: (The big box is actually our new replacement sliding doors.)
We used exterior siding, LP SmartSide, from Lowe's for the interior walls and ceiling, hanging it ship lap style. We caulked EVERYTHING, then painted with Olympic One satin in Delicate White. We then installed Style Selections Galvano Charcoal, 12 X 24" floor tile with matching grout directly over the concrete porch surface...
We also enlisted another neighbor to hoist the 160 + pound sliding doors into place. Phew! That thing was crazy heavy! Hubby had it all set and ready to go, so it was quickly set in place. The futon and acrylic chairs are from Hayneedle for a serious deal! The side tables are old Ikea tables we've had for years, but the coffee table was handmade by yours truly! I ordered the hairpin legs from Etsy, had Hubby cut a leftover piece of butcher block into an asymmetrical shape then I sanded it with the belt sander to get the edges I wanted. I had to mix my own stain and then finish it with three coats of Polycrylic.